Rainbow DSB 2015-16
Robotics and Numeracy in the Intermediate Classroom
How can the use of robotics kits support mathematical processes through open ended problem solving learning opportunities?
Teachers will collaborate to create activities, assessments, and lesson plans that specifically model the use of robotics kits for the implementation of mathematical process skills such as: problem solving, reflecting, and communication.
During this project, teachers will be using robotics kits to:
- Facilitate learning opportunities for students to develop, select, apply and compare a variety of strategies to solve problems
- Provide a variety of opportunities in which students might communicate mathematical thinking orally, visually and in writing
- Provide opportunities to reflect and monitor their thinking
- Provide instruction on basic coding skills
Alignment with Board Improvement Plan for Student Achievement and Well-Being
This project aligns with the strategic directions of Rainbow Schools through the following:
- Use technology to enable students to demonstrate their learning will building 21st century skills.
- Engage students in rich discussions, collaborative inquiry and the use of manipulatives to build mathematical understanding